What Makes Someone A Good Candidate For Breast Reduction Surgery?
For many women who experience issues with overly large breasts, it is common to want to consider breast reduction surgery as a means to improve your quality of life. However, just like any other plastic surgery procedure, breast reductions require additional thought and research on the part of the prospective patient so you can be sure this surgery is the right one for you.
Plastic surgeons who are certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons have a list of qualifying questions for patients that help both you and your surgeon determine whether or not a breast reduction is a good option for you. For surgeons who accept insurance to cover the cost of your surgery, these questions also come into play when submitting your case to your insurance company.
To prepare for your consultation with a surgeon, take a look at these questions and ask yourself whether or not they apply to you:
- Are you physically healthy?
- Do you have realistic expectations for your potential procedure?
- Are you a nonsmoker?
- Do your large breasts bother you physically and aesthetically?
- Does the size of your breasts impact your ability to perform physical activities?
- Do you experience pain in your back, neck, and shoulders from the weight of your breasts?
- Does your bra leave indentations in your shoulders?
- Do you often struggle with skin irritation such as rashes or acne beneath your breast tissue?
If you can answer yes to most of these questions, then breast reduction surgery may be the right procedure for you to pursue. During your consultation with Dr. Zannis, you will go over these questions together and discuss the benefits, possible risks & side effects, and recovery expectations of a breast reduction. Additionally, depending on if your consultation is in-person, you will most likely have a breast examination performed so that your physical measurements can be recorded.
With the right surgeon, a breast reduction can provide the relief and aesthetic adjustment you are looking to achieve. To schedule a consultation with Dr. Zannis or to learn more about breast reduction procedures, contact our office today at (252) 633-1197.