Understanding the proper medical and scientific terms in this industry can sometimes seem like trying to understand a completely different language. Most of us are familiar with the slang terms for a few of the most common procedures, but very few of us actually know what we’re talking about when it comes to naming these treatments, surgeries, and procedures correctly. To help with that, we’ve created this common plastic surgery procedures list for you.
Vaginal Rejuvenation – Labiaplasty, Clitoral Hood Reduction, Labia Majoraplasty, Monsplasty, Vaginoplasty
- All of these medical terms are simply different types of vaginal rejuvenation surgery
- Labiaplasty is also called labia reduction surgery and is a technique that reduces the appearance of excessive labia tissue of the female genitalia.
- A clitoral hood reduction is generally done at the same time as a labiaplasty and helps reduce excess folds of the prepuce
- A labia majoraplasty is a surgery that surgically reduces the size of the labia majora
- A monsplasty helps reduce the amount of skin and fat in the upper part of a woman’s vulva and helps ensure a lower profile when wearing tight clothing or a bathing suit
- Vaginoplasty encompasses any procedure that is designed to tighten or repair the vagina and is usually performed after childbirth
Boob Lift/Boob Job – Mastopexy
A breast lift surgery raises and firms the breasts by removing excess skin and tightening the surrounding tissue to reshape and support the new breast contour
Lipo Surgery – Liposuction
Liposuction slims and reshapes targeted areas of the body by extracting excess fat deposits, improving your body contours and proportion
Ankle Slimming Surgery – Liposuction, Calf Implants, Fat Transfer
- Calf implants are popular amongst men and women, but for different reasons. Women who desire a lower leg that is more aesthetically pleasing or men who wish to highlight the mass of their calf muscle are perfect candidates for this procedure.
- A fat transfer is fairly self-explanatory. In these types of procedures, excess fat is taken from the patient’s torso or belly and is then injected into the calf muscles to give them a fuller appearance
Upper Arm Plastic Surgery, Arm Fat Removal Surgery, Arm Reduction, Armpit Fat Removal, & Arm Skin Removal Surgery – Brachioplasty
Arm lifts are popular amongst older women, as arm tissue tends to sag with age, gravity, and weight loss. Brachioplasty involves the removal of excess tissue and reducing the circumference of the upper arm to create a tighter, more toned look
Brazilian Butt Lift/Butt Enhancement Surgery – Gluteal Augmentation, Buttock Augmentation
A Brazilian Butt Lift is just another way of talking about a gluteal augmentation. Silicone-based implants can be used to shape and lift the buttocks, but buttock augmentation that uses your own body fat is more natural looking and a superior option in most cases. The fat is harvested from the patient’s abdomen, outer thighs, and lower back using liposuction and is then treated and grafted into the buttocks to produce a nice round contour with improved volume
Chin Plastic Surgery – Mentoplasty
Mentoplasty refers to any surgical procedure that reshapes the chin via an implant or reduction surgery
Plastic Surgery for Acne Scars/Scar Reduction Surgery – Chemical Peels, Dermal Filler Injections, Laser Resurfacing & Light Therapies
- Chemical skin peels involve applying a specially formulated chemical solution to sun-damaged, unevenly pigmented, and finely wrinkled skin on the face. These procedures are effective in helping to diminish imperfections by peeling away the skin’s top layers, which generally consist of dull dead skin cells
- Dermal filler injections are useful for the treatment of firmly established wrinkles or larger lines of facial aging, such as the nasolabial folds. Fillers restore volume to the face and can add structure as well as smooth fine lines on the skin’s surface
- Laser Resurfacing & Light Therapies are usually simple, gentle laser treatments that can help prevent the visible signs of aging and the overall dulling effects that time can have on your skin
Plastic Surgery for Belly Fat – Liposuction, Abdominoplasty, CoolSculpting
While we’ve already covered Liposuction and Abdominoplasty, CoolSculpting is a revolutionary, non-surgical contouring treatment that freezes stubborn fat, which then is naturally processed out of your body
Plastic Surgery of the Ear – Otoplasty
Ear surgery, or Otoplasty, is most often done to set prominent ears back closer to the head or the reduce the overall size of larger ears. This operation is generally performed on children from the ages of 5 to 15, but can also be performed on adults
Thigh Reduction Surgery/Thigh Lift Procedure – Thighplasty
A thigh lift is done to remove excess skin from the thigh and buttock area. This sagging skin is usually caused by significant weight loss. This surgery can drastically improve the contour of the upper legs for patients who have gone through extreme weight loss or who excess saggy skin in the thigh area due to aging and the loss of skin elasticity
Schedule A Consultation
We hope this list of the most common plastic surgery procedures and their colloquial names was helpful. If you are thinking about having some cosmetic or plastic surgery work done and are looking for more information, you can request a consultation with Dr. Zannis or give us a call at (252) 633-1197 today!