Questions To Ask Your Plastic Surgeon
If you’re considering a plastic surgery procedure, finding the right surgeon for your needs is one of the first major steps towards making it a reality. Though every procedure is different, each comes with its own risks. Educating yourself on both the surgery and the surgeon you are considering is the best way to prepare yourself, and you can do this by asking the right questions. Your surgeon should be thorough enough to guide you through every step of the process, from initial consultation to healing and after-care.
Many factors go into choosing the right surgeon, including the surgeon’s hospital privileges, whether or not they’ll work with your insurance, and even their bedside manner. Though the last point may sound silly, it’s important that you feel comfortable with your surgeon and trust that they will come through for you. If your initial consultation makes you feel less confident in their abilities, then it may be a good idea to keep exploring your options.
Some of the questions we often answer for our patients (and questions you should be asking your surgeon) include the following:
- How many years have you been performing surgical procedures?
- Are you certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and/or a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons?
- At which hospitals in the area do you have hospital privileges to perform my procedure?
- Do you and the hospital where you have privileges accept my insurance carrier?
- How many procedures of this specific type have you performed?
- Do you consider me a good candidate for this procedure?
- If I am not happy with the outcome of this procedure, what are my options?
- What is the typical recovery like for this procedure? Will I need help getting around afterwards?
- What happens if I experience post-surgical complications?
By asking these questions, you are taking the time to educate yourself before making a final decision. Plus, having an open line of communication from the start is the only way you can know exactly what to expect and for your surgeon to know what your intentions and goals are for the procedure.
Having someone else with you during your consultation can also be incredibly helpful, because it is not uncommon to feel nervous and forget to ask some of your important questions. An extra set of ears, whether they’re in the room or on the phone with you, can be just what you need to make sure you’re leaving with all of the information you need to make an informed decision about your procedure.
If you’re considering a plastic surgery to procedure and wish to learn more, Dr. Zannis is here to provide consultations to discuss your options. You can even schedule a free virtual consultation! Request your consultation today or contact our office at (252) 633-1197.